Customer instructions for change of ownership
If either account is a business account, please visit Business account change of ownership.
We want to help you with a smooth process to release the phone number and the phone using that number from one Sprint account to another. Please read this page to better understand the process, who needs to do what and when, and what information is needed.
- The Releasor is the account holder releasing ownership of the phone number and the phone using that number.
- The Acceptor is the account holder accepting ownership of the phone number and the phone using that number.
What To Do Now Before Submitting The Request
If you’re the Releasor:
- Register your Sprint account by visiting www.Sprint.com/register.
- Get the Acceptor’s active Sprint account number.
If you’re the Acceptor:
- Have an active Sprint account. Call 855-808-4185 to establish a new account if needed.
- Go to www.Sprint.com/register to register your Sprint account with your account number, not the phone number.
- Provide the Releasor your Sprint account number.
Helpful Information To Know:
- Leased Devices: If end of lease options have not been completed on a device leased from Sprint, the Releasor may be responsible for ALL remaining lease or installment billing payments.
The Acceptor can continue the remaining payments in some cases, and Sprint will need to determine the Acceptor’s credit score by performing a credit check.
- If the Acceptor’s credit score is not equal to or better than the Releasor’s credit score, all remaining lease or installment billing payments will be charged to the Releasor’s next bill.
- If the Acceptor’s credit score is equal to or better than the Releasor’s credit score, the Releasor can authorize transferring the remaining lease or installment billing monthly payments to the Acceptor’s account.
- Promotions: If the Releasor receives monthly promotional service credits (loyalty credits, lease one, get one/buy one, get one, etc.), these credits will NOT transfer to the new account.
- Plans:If the plan on the Releasor’s account is expired or promotional, it will NOT transfer to the new account. A new plan will be assigned to the Acceptor during the release of the phone number.
- Past Due/Delinquent Accounts: Both Releasor’s and Acceptor’s accounts must be in good standing with no past due balance to process a Change of Ownership.
- Time to complete the online request: Releasor and Acceptor each have 5 days to complete the online form.
- Processing Time: The process can take up to 15 days. It is important for both Releasor and Acceptor to not make any changes to the phone number or phone being released (such as upgrading the device) until the request is completed.
- Confirmation: We’ll send you an email confirmation when the Change of Ownership request has been completed.
In the next screens you’ll be asked to identify yourself as a Releasor or Acceptor and provide the necessary information.
Both Releasor and Acceptor must complete the form. The Releasor needs to complete the form before the Acceptor does.
Select who you are in this process, and let’s get started!