Change your area code on sprint.com
There may be occasions where you need to change your phone number. You can change your phone number to a different number anywhere Sprint provides service. There is no fee for changing your number when using My Sprint.
- You cannot choose a specific number. A new number will be randomly assigned.
- You cannot change your phone number more than 3 times in 30 days.
- Once your phone number is changed, you cannot switch back to your current number.
- You will need to set up a new voicemail account and all your saved voicemail messages will be lost.
- Changing your phone number will remove block or allow lists associated with that number. You will need to manually set up these lists for your new number.
- You cannot port over a number from another carrier through this self-service process.
To request a new area code on sprint.com:
- Important: If you use your Sprint number with Google Voice™, please disable it before proceeding. Please log in to www.google.com/voice, disable your number and return to this page to continue. If you don't use your number for Google Voice services, then please proceed to the next step.
- Sign in to sprint.com with your username and password
- Select My Account menu, then select Preferences.
- Click the My Preferences tab.
- Under Things I can manage online - account, click Change Phone Number.
- If you do not want to update the service address, enter the desired area code and prefix or ZIP code and click Next.
- If you'd like to update the service address, enter the address of the location that the phone will be used the most and click Save & Continue.
- Click I need a different area code for this phone.
- Specify if you'd like to change the service address and change your area code, or only request a new area code.
- Based on the information entered, the system will generate area codes available. If multiple area codes are listed, choose an area code and click Next.
- Agree to the Terms on the following page and click Continue to get a new area code.
- The new area code will display.
Your phone will need to be programmed with your new phone number. Many of our phones program automatically over the air on our network. If your phone number does not program automatically, you will need to manually enter information to complete programming. See the Important section below for more info.
Your phone will need to be programmed with your new phone number. Many of our phones program automatically over the air on our network.
- Turn on your phone.
- Wait a minute and then try to make a phone call. If you succeed, you are done.
If you cannot make a phone call, you will need to manually enter the information below to complete programming:
- Master lock code
- New phone number
It may take up to 72 hours for the new phone number to display for Caller ID. Please wait 15 minutes for your new number to appear on sprint.com.
If you still cannot make calls after manual programming your phone, please chat with an agent at www.sprint.com/chat or visit a local retail store for programming assistance.
Last updated Tue Jul 28 2020