Troubleshoot issues related to text messaging on your device for the Moto G5 Plus
This article helps troubleshoot text messaging issues on your Motorola Moto G5 Plus
- You may have text messaging issues if your phone is:
- Unable to send or receive text messages
Displaying error codes or network messages when you try to send a text message
These steps help identify and resolve the underlying cause. After completing each step, test to see if the issue is fixed. If not, continue to the next step.
1. Verify airplane mode is turned off.
1. From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar.
2. Swipe down again to access the Quick Settings menu.
3. If Airplane mode is enabled, tap to disable it.
Note: The icon is white when enabled.
2. Update the PRL.
1. From the home screen, tap the All Apps icon.
2. Scroll to and tap Settings.
3. Tap More.
4. Tap Cellular networks.
5. Tap Carrier settings.
6. Tap Update PRL and wait until it completes.
7. Tap OK.
3. Perform a soft reset.
A soft reset reconnects your Motorola Moto G5 Plus to the Sprint network.
1. Press and hold the Power key for 10 seconds.
2. The phone will power off and restart.
4. Have you ever been able to send or receive a text message on your Motorola Moto G5 Plus?
If your Motorola Moto G5 Plus is active and you've never been able to text, contact Sprint Customer Care for further troubleshooting.
5. Have you moved to the Motorola Moto G5 Plus from an iPhone?
Some users will experience SMS issues when moving from an iPhone to a non-iOS device like the Motorola Moto G5 Plus.
To resolve this issue the SMS service should be removed from Apple's iMessage service. This can be done from any web browser.
1. Go to the Apple iMessage de-registration webpage.
2. In the No longer have your iPhone? section, enter your phone number in the Phone Number field.
3. Click Send Code.
4. Apple will send a message to your phone to confirm your de-registration. Enter that code in the Confirmation Code field.
5. Click Submit.
Note: To optimize device performance, be sure your Motorola Moto G5 Plus is running the most recent device software. Check for software updates.