Troubleshoot issues related to text messaging on your device for the Moto e5 play
This article helps troubleshoot text messaging issues on your Moto E5 Play
You may have text messaging issues if your phone is:
- Unable to send or receive text messages
- Displaying error codes or network messages when you try to send a text message
These steps help identify and resolve the underlying cause. After completing each step, test to see if the issue is fixed. If not, continue to the next step.
- Verify airplane mode is turned off.
- From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar with two fingers to access the Quick Settings menu.
- If Airplane mode is enabled, disable by tapping Airplane mode.
Note: The icon is grey when disabled.
- Verify mobile data is enabled.
- From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar.
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Tap Network & internet.
- Tap Data usage.
- Ensure that Mobile data is enabled.
- Perform a soft reset.
A soft reset reconnects your Moto E5 Play to the Sprint network.
- Turn off the phone by pressing the Power button.
- Remove the battery.
- After 30 seconds, reinsert the battery.
- Turn the phone back on by pressing the Power button.
- Have you ever been able to send or receive a text message on your Moto E5 Play?
If your Moto E5 Play is active and you've never been able to text, contact Sprint Customer Care for further troubleshooting.
- Have you moved to the Moto E5 Play from an iPhone?
Some users will experience SMS issues when moving from an iPhone to a non-iOS device like the Moto E5 Play.
To resolve this issue the SMS service should be removed from Apple's iMessage service. This can be done from any web browser.
- Go to the Apple iMessage de-registration webpage.
- In the No longer have your iPhone? section, enter your phone number in the Phone Number field.
- Click Send Code.
- Apple will send a message to your phone to confirm your de-registration. Enter that code in the Confirmation Code field.
- Click Submit.
Note: To optimize device performance, be sure your Moto E5 Play is running the most recent device software. Check for software updates.