Switch your Apple Watch to a new iPhone for the watch-series-4
Switch your Apple Watch to a new iPhone
If you want to use a new iPhone with your Apple Watch, you can transfer your Apple Watch and its contents to a new iPhone.
- Update your old iPhone
Before you switch your Apple Watch from your old iPhone to a new iPhone, update your old iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
If you already erased your old iPhone or no longer have it, you should erase your Apple Watch, then pair it with your new iPhone. If you�re asked to restore from a watch backup, select the most recent backup. You will lose Activity, Workouts, or settings on your watch that changed between the last backup and now.
Without an iPhone backup, you�ll need to set up your Apple Watch as new. You will lose any previous Activity, Workouts, or settings, but your other content will sync from the new iPhone to your Apple Watch.
- Back up and unpair your Apple Watch
Unpairing backs up your Apple Watch to your old iPhone, then erases your Apple Watch, so you can pair it with your new iPhone. You can't use your Apple Watch until you pair it again, so don't unpair until you're ready to start using your new iPhone.
- To unpair your Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap your watch at the top of the screen, tap the i icon.
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch.
- Tap again to confirm.
- If asked, enter your Apple ID password.
- Keep your Apple Watch and old iPhone close together until you finish unpairing them.
- Back up your old iPhone, then transfer your backup to your new iPhone
Use these steps to create an iCloud backup of your old iPhone, then transfer all your content to your new iPhone.
If you use iTunes, remember to encrypt your backup to save your Health and Activity content.
- Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
- Connect your device to your computer with the included USB cable. Your connected device appears as an phone icon in the upper-left corner of the iTunes window.
- On the Summary screen, select "Encrypt [device] backup" in the Backups section.
- When asked, make a password. Create one you'll remember or write it down and store it safely, because there's no way to use your iTunes backups without this password.
- After you confirm your password, iTunes starts backing up and also immediately overwrites and encrypts your previous backups.
- When the process completes, make sure that your encrypted backup finished successfully.
- Click OK to close iTunes Preferences.
- Pair your Apple Watch with your new iPhone
Use these steps to pair your Apple Watch with your new iPhone. When you're asked, select Restore from Backup, then select the most recent backup to transfer your content back to your Apple Watch.
After you pair, check for updates to your Apple Watch.