Unlocking your Sprint device
Unlock your mobile device
Most mobile devices are programmed to prevent the device from operating with other wireless carriers’ networks without first being unlocked. We're committed to providing you with clear information about unlocking your mobile device.
If you purchased your device from Sprint, please follow the steps outlined below to determine your eligibility for device unlocking. In order to unlock a mobile device that is not sold or authorized by Sprint, you need to contact the mobile carrier or manufacturer who sold you the device.
If you received a text message notification directing you to this page to complete the unlock process, please see below.
After May 1st, 2023, certain hotspot devices previously activated on the Sprint network that are not compatible with the T-Mobile network will no longer be supported. These devices will not be able to access the network or be unlocked. If you need assistance, please contact Care.
Sprint’s approach to device unlocking
Once a device becomes eligible for unlocking (eligibility criteria are described below), Sprint will automatically and remotely unlock the device within two business days if the device supports remote unlock.
Some devices cannot be remotely unlocked by Sprint. In these cases, Sprint will send a notification to the device within two business days of it becoming eligible, with next steps to complete the unlock process.
Some older devices with a Master Subsidy Lock (“MSL”) are not capable of being SIM unlocked. Please see below for information about these devices.
Unlock eligibility requirements
We unlock mobile devices that meet the following eligibility criteria free of charge:
- The device must be sold by Sprint.
- The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked.
- The device is SIM Unlock capable.
- The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 40 days.
- Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the device unlock is completed.
- Sprint may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.
For inactive devices, customers must contact Sprint Customer Care to request that their unlock-capable device be unlocked and may have to take steps to perform an over-the-air update to ensure the unlock programming has been relayed to the device. Additional validation may be required to ensure eligibility.
Unlocking for military personnel
Sprint greatly appreciates the service that our U.S. military men and women provide at home and abroad. For military personnel deployed overseas, Sprint has established a favorable unlocking policy, and will unlock devices that meet these criteria:
- The device is capable of international SIM unlock.
- The subscriber is an active member of a branch of the United States military or a family member who is on the same account as deployed personnel.
- The subscriber has been issued overseas deployment papers.
- The person requesting the unlock is a current Sprint customer that can authenticate that they are the Account Holder or an Authorized Contact.
- The account is in good standing.
- Each phone number on the account is allowed up to five unlocked devices within a 12-month period.
Military personnel deployed overseas can contact Sprint Worldwide Care to unlock their device. Sprint Worldwide Care can be reached via chat or email from sprint.com/swwsupport or by calling 888-226-7212.
Note regarding Sprint's unlocking policies
Sprint may refuse any unlock request that would result in an abuse of these policies or that is part of an effort to defraud Sprint or its customers. These policies are subject to change at Sprint's discretion without advance notice.
Sprint makes no guarantee that an unlocked device will work on another carrier's network. Whether another carrier will accept and activate a device is subject to that carrier's policies and capabilities. Additionally, unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., an unlocked device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network). Please also note that Sprint devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier's network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated on the Sprint network.
For devices that are not SIM Unlock-capable, Sprint may be able to provide a Master Subsidy Lock ("MSL") code to eligible customers. The MSL code was utilized to lock many devices manufactured prior to February 2015. For these MSL-based devices, Sprint will provide a bill notification and/or text message with next steps when you are eligible to receive your MSL code. While Sprint can provide the MSL code to eligible customers, as noted above, this does not mean that the device will be accepted by another carrier or interoperate with another carrier's network, which is subject to that carrier's policies and capabilities.
Learn more about the Unlocking Commitment. Have questions? See our Device Unlocking FAQs.
Follow the steps below if you received a notification that your device is eligible to be unlocked. If the notification mentions an unlock code, Contact us so we can provide it.
- Make sure you are connected to the Sprint network or Wi-Fi.
- Swipe up on your Home screen to open the Apps tray and follow the steps below:
- Newer devices: Settings > Connections > More Connection Settings > Network Unlock
- Older devices: Use the Device Unlock app pre-installed on your device. If you do not have this app, your device is unlocked or it is on a 2019 or newer OS.
- OnePlus (6T and newer): Settings >Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network, then choose Advanced or Network Unlock
- Other manufacturers: Choose your device on the Devices page, then click the Security drop-down to find Mobile Device Unlock steps.
- Select Permanent Unlock
- Wait while the device completes the unlock.
- Restart the device.
- Contact us if:
- You do not see the apps or settings listed for your device, as it may require an unlock code.
- You meet the eligibility requirements but cannot unlock your device.
- You have a device not listed above.