Unlocking your Sprint device
Frequently asked questions
SIM Unlock refers to enabling the SIM slot of your device to allow you to insert another carrier's SIM card (either domestically or internationally.) Unlocking a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with another carrier's network. Additionally, unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., an unlocked device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network). NOTE: Not all devices are capable of having the SIM slot unlocked.
Sprint will only activate devices certified to work on the Sprint network. Sprint cannot unlock phones from other carriers.
Sprint Postpaid Devices
Sprint will unlock a device from Sprint's network under the following circumstances:
- The device is SIM Unlock capable
- The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
- Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed.
- The associated account is in good standing
- The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
For SIM unlock-capable devices (generally most devices launched after February 2015), Sprint will automatically unlock postpaid devices when they becomes eligible.
Sprint Forward Devices
Sprint Prepaid will assist with unlocking a Sprint Forward device under the following circumstances:
- The device has not been reported as lost or stolen or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked.
- The device has been active on the associated account for at least 12 months with the account active at that time.
Sprint Forward customers must contact Customer Care to request that their device be unlocked. If you believe you meet the above requirements and would like to request that your SIM unlock-capable device be unlocked, contact Sprint Prepaid Customer Care by dialing 855-639-4644.
For inactive devices, customers must contact Sprint Customer Care to request that their SIM unlock-capable device be unlocked and may have to take steps to perform an over-the-air update to ensure the unlock programming has been relayed to the device. Additional validation may be required to ensure eligibility.
Sprint makes no guarantee that an unlocked device will work on another carrier's network. Whether another carrier will accept and activate a device is subject to that carrier's policies and capabilities. Additionally, Sprint devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier's network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated on the Sprint network.
Unlocking for military personnel
Sprint greatly appreciates the service that our U.S. military men and women provide at home and abroad. For military personnel deployed overseas, Sprint has established a favorable unlocking policy, as follows:
- The device is capable of international SIM unlock
- The subscriber is an active member of a branch of the United States military as well as family members who are on the same account as deployed personnel.
- The subscriber has been issued overseas deployment papers
- The person requesting the unlock is a current Sprint customer that can authenticate as the Account Holder or an Authorized Contact
- The account is in good standing
- Each phone number on the account is allowed up to two unlocked devices within a 12 month period.
Military personnel deployed overseas can contact Sprint Worldwide Care to unlock the device SIM slot. Sprint Worldwide Care can be reached via chat or email from sprint.com/swwsupport or by calling 888-226-7212.
Note regarding Sprint's unlocking policies
Sprint may refuse any unlock request that would result in an abuse of these policies or is part of an effort to defraud Sprint or its customers. These policies are subject to change at Sprint's discretion without advance notice.
For devices that are not SIM Unlock-capable, Sprint may be able to provide a Master Subsidy Lock ("MSL") code to eligible customers.
- The MSL code was utilized to lock many devices manufactured prior to February 2015. For these MSL-based devices, Sprint will provide a bill notification and/or text message when you are eligible to receive your MSL code. The bill notification will direct you to Sprint Customer Care who can provide you the MSL code.
- Please note, while Sprint can provide the MSL code to eligible customers, this does not mean that device will be accepted by another carrier or interoperate with another carrier's network. Whether another carrier will accept and activate a device is subject to that carrier's policies and capabilities. Additionally, Sprint devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier's network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated on the Sprint network.