At Sprint, we view Corporate Responsibility (CR) as a long-term strategic approach to balancing business opportunities with social, economic and environmental responsibilities. We've actively engaged in CR efforts for many years and established a CR Steering Committee in early 2008 to holistically orchestrate these efforts for the corporation. The Steering Committee is responsible for establishing our CR priorities and long-term goals. After completing a detailed materiality assessment, Sprint released its first set of priorities and long-term goals in late 2008. The priorities remained consistent through 2011, when several of the goals were modified to add clarity and reflect a higher commitment.
As we discussed our corporate responsibility strategy for the next several years, we found we needed a better way to describe the breadth of our efforts, both internally and externally. After several iterations, the following visual was created to effectively communicate the scope of our corporate responsibility efforts and initiatives.
Sprint Corporate Responsibility:
We then expanded our CR operating priorities to correspond to this representation and to ensure all key areas were addressed. The latest set of priorities reflects all of the original 11 priorities (some of which have been clarified) along with nine new priorities. The visual representation and expanded operating priorities reflect a maturity in our understanding of our CR opportunities and better reflect our vision of using CR to expand the social, economic and environmental capabilities of the mobile ecosystem.
Sprint 2012 Corporate Responsibility Operating Priorities
- We will drive reductions in our carbon footprint.
- We will effectively manage our use of natural resources by reducing consumption, facilitating reuse, and maximizing recycling.
Our Products and Services
- We will effectively manage the end-of-life phase of devices we sell or collect for recycling.
- We will incorporate "design for the environment" principles into our device-development process and work to improve the sustainability of our device manufacturers operations and the devices they produce for us.
- We will provide or enable mobile solutions that enable our customers to reduce their environmental impact.
- We will strive to identify and manage unintended safety impacts of our products and services.
- We will promote an open business model (incorporating networks, applications and M2M solutions), putting choice in the hands of our customers and leveraging our assets to drive innovation in the mobile ecosystem.
- We will earn customer loyalty by meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
- We will advocate for a fair and competitive wireless market, encouraging competition and innovation within the mobile ecosystem.
- We will foster an inclusive workplace that welcomes contributions from our diverse employee base.
- We will promote a safe and healthy workplace.
- We will promote employee commitment to and participation in Sprint's Corporate Responsibility efforts.
- We will establish processes that enable a more socially and environmentally sound supply chain.
- We will strive to improve the diversity of our supplier base.
- We will support our communities through contributions and employee-volunteerism efforts that support K-12 education, positive youth development and the environment.
- We will be transparent about our collection and use of personal information and strive to be clear in our privacy communications with consumers about their privacy choices and to raise awareness of mobile-privacy practices.
- We will promote ethical conduct.
- We will comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- We will stay abreast of best practices in Corporate Responsibility management, including governance, reporting and stakeholder engagement, and adopt those practices that are viable and advance our Corporate Responsibility performance.
In this section of the website, you will learn about our: